14 Jun World Continence Week: Incontinence is NO laughing matter
The Continence Foundation of Australia is the premier body for information, education and awareness.
The organisation provides information for the general public and for health professionals across the country.
In 2017, Continence Week Awareness campaign concentrates on urinary incontinence related to the best medicine of all: laughter.
Have you ever lost urine because you have laughed? It is the same mechanism as when losing urine with coughing and sneezing. The pelvic floor loses its grip on supporting the bladder and urethra, when the bladder is full and the pressure in the abdomen increases suddenly with the laughter. It may be worse when you have a full bladder.
When you have finished passing urine. Stay sitting on the toilet. Practice laughing with an empty bladder. 4-5 good HA HA HA HA HAs should do it….. Now contract the pelvic floor muscles and repeat the laughter – concentrate on the lift of the pelvic floor while you lift. Do this every time you pass urine as a way of training the brain – pelvic floor connection.
Here are some facts about incontinence
Bladder and bowel control problems
- affect one in four people.
- do not get better on their own.
- should be treated.
- are common, but not a normal consequence of childbirth or ageing.
- can be treated, better managed or cured.
- are more common in women who have had children, especially through vaginal birth.
Improve bladder and bowel health by adopting healthy habits
- eat well
- drink well
- exercise regularly
- keep your pelvic floor toned
- practise good toilet habits:
- plan to void (pass urine) no less than 2 hourly, no more than 5 hourly
- plan to move your bowels after breakfast, on most days
There are 4,626,624 Australian adults living with urine or bowel problems.
Seek help: Make an appointment with SHEphysiopilates, experts in pelvic issues.
Personal care for personal health.
Call on 0408 465 312
on facebook www.facebook.com/SHEphysiopilates/
on instagram www.instagram.com/shephysiopilates/